Art & Design
HPS - Art Curriculum Aims
- To become proficient in drawing, painting, sculpture, and other craft and design techniques.
- To evaluate and analyse creative works using the language of art, craft and design.
- To enable children to record from first-hand experience using observational drawing, photography and from their imagination to develop their ideas.
- To foster enjoyment and appreciation of all the visual arts and gain knowledge of great artists, craftspeople and designers through links with the local and broader multicultural community.
- Specialist art teachers deliver all art lessons throughout the academic year.
Our principal aim is to develop the children's knowledge, skills and understanding of art and design. We ensure that the act of investigating and making something includes exploring and developing ideas and evaluating and developing their work using the inspiration of others.
Art craft and design embody some of the highest forms of human creativity. It provides visual, tactile and sensory experiences and a unique way of understanding and responding to the world. It enables children to communicate what they see, feel and think through colour, texture, form, pattern and different materials and processes. Whatever their experiences and abilities, all children will produce creative work, exploring and recording their ideas.
Children explore ideas and meaning through the work of artists and designers, including current artists and fashion designers who visit the school. Learning about art's roles and functions, they explore its impact on different times, cultures, and contemporary life.